Thursday, March 23, 2006

Then and Now

Fosfor Gadgets has a few pictures of video games of today compared to similar games of the 80’s. My long time readers (which I believe is a grand total of nobody) will remember I posted a picture of Adventure on the Atari 2600 (the very first graphic adventure game) versus one from World of Warcraft myself back in June of 2005. One of these days i'll put the code in for perma-links, in the mean time you'll have to click on that link and then scroll down to the Saturday, June 11th post title "Trip Down Memory Game."

The only thing I don’t like about Fosfor's pictures are that the modern ones don’t show any of the interfaces or are actually marketing shots. Yeah they show how cool the graphics of today are but it rings of the before and after shots you see of people in magazines who have had some procedure done. You know where the “after” picture has the person smiling with professionally applied make-up, hair styling, and lighting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was a large chunk of time in which I didn't play video games. I think it was when the 3D stuff started to get big. Like, I played Super Mario Brothers type of stuff every day after school, then there was a hole. Then I downloaded anything I could get over my 2400 baud modem. Then played Wolfenstein 3D. Then nothing for 10 years. Then WoW.

Seems like graphics are finally getting out of the cheeze zone.