Sunday, May 22, 2005

Broken Dishes

I had a bunch of things I wanted to do this weekend, had some scripts from work I wanted to work on, I am typing up a history of the Dragon Kill Point (DKP) loot system used in MMORPGs, and my article on designers and writers in the video game industry.

Instead of working on any of that I spent the days driving from mall to mall trying to replace a plate that was broken and the evenings just lying on the couch surfing the net and reading up on all the stuff I missed at E3. I could also mention some of the really bad TV shows that have been on this weekend but that would mean I would have to admit that I was actually watching “The History of Band Aid.” You know the song from the 80’s, Feed the World “…don’t they know it’s Christmas time at all?” That thing. It’s on right now while I’m typing this. I’m too lazy to reach the remote.

In case you were wondering I didn't find the plate; the pattern from Living Art was everywhere when we bought the set last year but nowhere to be found now. It is kind of a summer pattern so maybe I'll have better luck next summer (remember its fall/winter down under currently.)

Oh, and I enabled Anonymous Comments so you don't have to register to post comments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can probably find the plate on Ebay. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought Thott created DKP?

Joseph B. Hewitt IV said...

Yes he did, but there is a lot more to the history than "Thott created it." Why was it created, what was happening that caused it to be created, what was some of the thinking that went behind its creation, what is the story behind some of its nuances such IDKP and why is it used? How flexible is it and how are special circumstances handled? How about some comparisons to other loot systems? How easy or hard would it be to implement a generic game mechanic system to aid guilds with their own version of the DKP system?

I do plan on giving a first draft copy to Thott, Hobben, and Tabbin for comments and additions.

Why am I doing it? Because I am currently designing some guild tools and although I won’t be including any point system mechanics I have been thinking about it. I thought it would be a good time to write down some of the historical information associated with its creation. I wasn’t part of the guild when it was created but I have access to an excellent series of posts by Wendolyn with comments by Hobben that document its creation as well as some of the details of what was going on when things like IDKP were added.